Sunday, June 10, 2007

Library Technology

It is so interesting to see traditional library tools being used virtually for the average Joe. GuruLib is cataloging for the people! I didn't have any luck using the ISBN to add items, but I added a couple using the title, and it seemed to take some time to upload a title to my account. I also set up an account on Elf. I don't think I'd use this if it weren't for the RSS feed feature. One of the things I like about OCLS is the option to have email reminders sent. As long as patrons check their email and make sure it is not in a junk file, it can be a lifesaver! I think that III (Millennium) is supposed to be devising an RSS feature in a future upgrade. Tagging and "social bookmarking" are also layman's cataloging. But more and more libraries are looking at this as a way to catalog items. This way people are able to search using terms they relate to instead of these weird Library of Congress Subject Headings that can be misleading or obscure.

Shelfari is pretty cool. And you can add it to your MySpace page or other personal sites/pages. Neat! My friends and I have recently decided to read HP7 together, and this could be a cool way to share our progress. BookMooch is kind of interesting. I tend to donate my books to Friends of the Library, but I did like that you could donate your points to charitable organizations so they could use your points to get books.

Along the culinary homefront, I've had two successes (Hearth Healthy Texas Chili and Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Pudding). We won't talk about the disasters. I'm off to Bern's Steak House next weekend. It is on the top ten list of things to do in Tampa before you die. The cool part is the tour of the kitchen and the separate dessert rooms. Their macadamia nut ice cream rocks!

And I have to give a shout out to the Yankees who have won their last five games! They are playing some incredible ball right now, and it is fun to watch. I can't wait to see where they are when I see them play the Devil Rays in September! Pitching has improved, and players like Cano and Abreu are getting back on track with their hitting. I love Robinson Cano. I see him and Melky Cabrera being future Jeter's of the team. Gooooo Yankees!

1 comment:

J said...

A separate dessert room?! That sounds really cool and perfect for someone who just wants to go to a place for dessert. My hubby would love the tour of the kitchen. I believe a road trip to Tampa will have to be in our future.