Saturday, May 19, 2007

RSS Feeds and Wikis

As part of our Learn 2.0 adventure, our week 3 assignment was to sign ourselves up for some good ol' RSS feeds. I have been accessing feeds through my personal Yahoo account, so it was interesting to see another resource and it hooked me on to feeds I hadn't previously considered. I signed up for the following:
  • Wired top stories (I thought this might be interesting as an OCLS Trendwatcher.)
  • The Shifted Librarian (Besides the fact that Jenny Levine talked about how OCLS rocks in gaming, I had the chance to see her speak at Computers In Libraries this year and really enjoyed her presentation.)
  • Cooking Engineer (I'm already subscribed to this through Yahoo, but I wanted to share with other cooking fans this feed because it is really neat how they diagram each recipe like a blueprint. Enjoy!)
  • Simply Recipes (I'm thinking this one is pretty obvious, and the pictures are great.)
  • Comedy Central joke of the day (I can always use a good laugh!)
  • OCLS General Announcements (Good reminders of what is coming up for our patrons.)

Now, I did a few searches on Grokker, and I have to tell you. It hasn't grabbed me 100% yet. Wait, I take that back. I think I just prefer the outline view to the map view. (Guess I'm notan absolute visual learner. It feels like I am a combo of tactile and visual. Learn 2.0 is a great fit for me.) I think Grokker is pretty nifty though. One thing I searched for is Ethiopian cuisine. I did get a hit for an Ethiopian restaurant in Orlando. If that pays off, I will be to the moon! If you've never eaten it, like a little kick in your food and enjoy eating with your hands, it is fantastic! I'll let you know how it turns out.

I relatively familiar with wikis. I read Orange Slices and I participate on the OCLS Trendwatcher's wiki.

I have to say that I am glad to have something else to write about right now considering that the Yankees are in what can only be described in a downward spiral. My fan status exists out of sheer loyalty, but if I was Joe Torre, I'd be cracking skulls!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

When I saw your picture it reminded me of an adventure I had last night at Sea world. A new state performance by Shamu Rocks, you've got to go and see it.